Online administration of SEL Tools is suspended for the time being while we ensure FERPA aligned protocols are in place. All links to online tools have been replaced with links to pdfs of surveys to ensure teachers continue to have access to track on their own during this time.
The WI SEL Development Tracker system is an online survey tool suite based on the Wisconsin Department of Public Instruction’s (DPI) SEL competencies. These tools are designed to help schools recognize how they can improve SEL, teaching, and professional development in their schools. The three surveys monitor students, teachers/staff, and classrooms in three SEL domains: Emotional Development, Self-Concept, and Social Competence. These surveys may be taken up to four times per school year to track progress trajectories.
Note: These tools do not yet have psychometrically-established properties and should be used for formative purposes only. None of the tools provided should be used for accountability purposes.
Click a button below to directly begin a survey tool in a new window.
Teachers, paraprofessionals, staff, and parents/guardians can use this tool to track students (up to 35, in grades PK-12) SEL development, up to 4 times/year. The link includes a self-report option for students in grades 6-12.
Additional Student SEL Tracker Uses:
- Identify SEL goals for Academic and Career Plans (ACP)
- Develop SEL goals in student Individualized Education Plans (IEPs)
- Identify competencies to focus classroom and school SEL programming
- Monitor student SEL growth
- Identify SEL-related objectives and/or learning targets during academic instruction
Teachers will self-assess their SEL development via thoughts and behaviors, as well as SEL-related pedagogical practices.
Additional Teacher SEL Skills and Practices Survey Uses:
- Identify areas for personal growth
- Identify goals for Professional Development Plans (PDPs)
- Identify teaching practices on which to focus in the classroom
- Raise awareness of how one’s own skills can impact how one teaches and promotes the same skills in others
Teachers and school staff can use this survey to document teacher practices, teacher-student relationships, and the classroom and school environment.
Additional Classroom Observation Tool Uses:
- Identify instructional strategies and areas of improvement
- Celebrate positive relationships and model strategies for colleagues
- Identify positive instructional and social environments that promote SEL
Report generation is suspended for the time being while we ensure FERPA aligned protocols are in place.
For comprehensive school-level reports, please have your school administrator send a request to the survey team by clicking the link above. A customized report will be generated for your school. Note that all personal information will be de-identified in the school-level report.
The customized report may include:
- Average scores over time for students in three domains: Emotional Development, Self-Concept, and Social Competence
- Average scores over time for teachers in four domains: Emotional Development, Self-Concept, Social Competence, and SEL Practices
- Average scores over time for classroom observations in three domains: Teacher SEL Practices, Student Behavior, and Classroom Environment
- A list of all survey questions
What did you think? We’d love to hear feedback on how we can improve the tools. Click the link to enter your feedback on each of the tools, as well as provide comments, concerns, and suggestions.
The WI SEL Development Tracker was created in partnership between the Wisconsin Center for Education Research and the Wisconsin Department of Public Instruction (DPI). For more information on DPI’s SEL competencies guide, please visit their website: https://dpi.wi.gov/sspw/mental-health/social-emotional-learning